Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Life Drawing Check-Up

November 2nd - Mid Semester Progress
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     If someone were to ask me again what I was looking forward to in class, I would most likely reply with a hint of disdain. Not because of trivial reasons, but that drawing with vitality has been one of the largest challenges I have been faced with thus far. As the semester has progressed, my output has looked something similar to a first quarter stock. Out of the gates was a rush of new information and ways of seeing the human figure, but as work loads have increased, my ability to concentrate on such a great challenge has diminished significantly. No longer do my eyes look deeper, for fear of getting tangled in a singular subject. When I leave, my frustration carries into a different practice. One of technical line making and rigid rules. This back and forth factions my mind into a cluster of selective processors instead of the cohesive network of genius. Walking into the drawing studio has become far more stressful then one would like. But then I reflect on the notion that maybe I help manifest this internal warfare. If I appear withdrawn, this is way. My mind is constantly laying waste to itself in the pursuit of perfection. What the fuck is perfection anyway?

   The examples I choose to capture for progress are part of this initial spurt of exploration. Hopefully, with a bit of spiritual clairvoyance, I can soon return to the state beyond just seeing.


Daniel Thiede

No comments:

Post a Comment